Many pregnant women are involved in car accidents; sadly, most lose the pregnancies. The current seat belt system in cars are not designed to protect expecting women involved in crashes. Car seat belt positioners help lower the current risk pregnant women face in car crashes.For more information, check out carseatmom.com
There are key things you should look out for in a pregnancy car seat belt positioner. This article lists some of these features.
Do I Need a Pregnancy Car Seat Belt Positioner?
Yes, you do! The existing seat belt system in cars was not designed to protect pregnant driving women. The current seat belt system exposes pregnant women and fetuses to risks of injury and death in some cases. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
In an accident, the seat belts may contract forcefully and displace or even crush your fetus. To prevent these, pregnancy car seat belt positioned were made. They keep the seat belts away from your belly and hold them firmly in place, even in an accident.
Are Pregnancy Car Seat Belt Positioners Safe?
Pregnancy car seatbelt positioners are safe if used correctly. These sturdy positioners help lower the risk of serious injury to yourself and the fetus in the event of an accident. However, it would help if you bought a crash-tested seatbelt positioner to enjoy the benefits it provides.
What Should I Look Out For?
Certain features should inform your choice of pregnancy seat belt positioner.
- High on the list is the materials used to make a pregnancy seat positioner. The material must be sturdy enough to withstand the force that results from a crash. Feeble materials will rip during the crash and leave you with no protection whatsoever.
- Look out for pregnancy seat belt Positioners that have passed the crash test. This assures you of the quality. Be sure to inspect the design. While inspecting, look for indications that the seat belt positioner will slack in the seat belt should the device fail.
- If the lap belt still crosses your stomach, the seat belt positioner must have no cushioning pad. This pad lies between your body and the lap belt. If the seat belt positioned has a cushioning pad, it may compress during the crash.
- The proximity of the anchor to you. If the seat belt positioner’s anchor is too far from your body, do not buy it. If there is a crash, it means your body will have to go forward first before the belt engages your body and stops you. The results of this could be disastrous owing to the force with which your body jerks forward.
How Can I Spot a Bad Pregnancy Seat Belt Positioner
Like all products, there are a whole lot of bad pregnancy seat belt positioners in the market. They may be counterfeit, untested, unsafe pregnancy seat belt positioners. However, because of the lack of federal standards for seat belt positioners, selling these unsafe products are not illegal(source).
A few tips to help you identify these knockoffs are below.
- They are made with low-quality materials that tend to break in a crash.
- You can spot some of these fakes by their prices. They are usually p.ridiculously cheap. Do not buy it if it is sold at a price that is too good to be true. It is probably a fake and may even endanger you.
- The kind of packaging used also gives a good indication of authenticity.
- Look at the contact information. In the United States, eCommerce websites are required to display their contact information on every page.
Types of Pregnancy Seat Belt Positioners
Like child car seats, some pregnancy car seatbelt positioners come with extra features. These features may be designed to provide comfort while driving or increase safety.
The three main styles in the market we’ve found are
Pregnancy car seatbelt positioners that come with soft material. These car seat belt positioners are designed to keep the lap belt under your belly.
Positioners with a kind of hook system that creates an anchor point between the legs. These remove the lap belt from your pregnancy bump area completely.
A third less common style is the pillow or cushion between the seat belt and the baby bump.
Which Brand of Pregnancy Car Seat Belt Positioner Can I use?
Currently, we recommend you purchase the pregnancy car seatbelt positioners that have been crash-tested. Only crash certified pregnancy car seat belt positioned are guaranteed to be safe for your use.
The pregnancy car seatbelt positioner you select should be an improvement on your current car seat belts. It should position your seat belt at your legs, far away from your stomach. This way, if there’s an accident, you won’t need to worry about the seat belt contracting against your stomach and harming your fetus. The seat belt positioned should hold the seat belt firmly in place; they prevent the seat belt from slipping or slacking.
Do your research before buying any pregnancy car seatbelt positioner. Be sure to check they are made of quality materials and are comfortable for you too. The seat belt positioned should take away the uncomfortable pressure that cat seat belts put on your tummy. With all these in place, you can rest easy knowing that you have taken the right step towards ensuring your baby’s safety in the event of a car collision or accident.
Car crashes are the highest cause of death in pregnant women and the leading cause of serious fetal injury and mortality. US National Library of Medicine. Car seat belt positioners help keep your seat belts in place and improve your chances in the event of an accident. There are important things to look out for in a pregnancy car seat belt positioner. One of them is to check for is a pregnancy car seatbelt positioner made from sturdy materials.